I am a Londoner & I am not enjoying the Olympics in the slightest! My issues with it are as follows:
- We do not have an Olympic Park where all the events can be held in one place so all of London has to be thrown into upheaval whilst hundreds of thousands of visitors struggle to negotiate our antique public transport system.
- Millions of pounds have been pumped into this temporary event that would have been much better used to fund our NHS so that lives can be saved.
- The already underfunded London Emergency Services had to stretch their budgets even thinner & cancel leave for staff to make sure everyone is safe & has access to medical care onsite.
- The organisation of the Games has been a shambles.
- Tickets were printed in America that could have been made in the UK & the souvenir merchandise was put together in China.
- Many other jobs that might have boosted our economy were outsourced to other countries.
- Security was poorly arranged as the company that was awarded the contract bit off more than they could chew.
- Tickets were sold at horrendous prices so that many who wanted to attend could not go. Then a large number of seats bought by high end businesses at the first events this past weekend were empty!
I truly believe that this is a case of the government behaving in an exceedingly foolish manner, thinking only of the money to be gained from tourists rather than the long term future of the country & its people. I hope the athletes & sports fans enjoy their decadent mistake. I shall not be participating in any Olympic celebrations or lining the pockets of any of the Official Sponsors. I am an Olympic Humbug!
I would LOVE to hear positive stories of the Olympics. Do you have one for me?